Spring is a time of new beginnings, warmer weather, and unfortunately, seasonal allergies. Allergies can make life miserable for those who suffer from them, causing sneezing, congestion, itchy eyes, and other unpleasant symptoms. While many over-the-counter medications can help alleviate these symptoms, some prefer to explore alternative therapies, such as chiropractic care and nutritional supplementation. These alternatives are a safer way to address the symptoms without affecting your heart, blood pressure and without leaving you drowsy throughout your day, like the medications are proven to do. (5). We will show you how chiropractic care and the top five supplements to help alleviate allergies. Learn to “Adjust Your Allergies”
Chiropractic is focused on correcting misalignments in the spine, known as subluxations, that can interfere with the body’s ability to function properly. By restoring proper alignment, chiropractic care can help the body to function at its best, which can help to alleviate a wide range of health issues, including asthma and allergies.(1)
One way that chiropractic care can help with allergies is by improving the function of the immune system.(2) The immune system fights foreign invaders, such as pollen and other allergens. When the immune system is not functioning properly, it can overreact to these allergens, causing allergy symptoms. Chiropractic care can help improve immune function by removing subluxations that may be interfering with communication between the nervous and immune systems.
Another way that chiropractic care can help with allergies is by reducing inflammation in the body (4). Inflammation is a natural response to injury or infection, but when it becomes chronic, it can contribute to a wide range of health issues, including allergies. Chiropractic care can help to reduce inflammation by restoring proper alignment to the spine, which can help to improve circulation and reduce stress on the nervous system.
Chiropractic care can also help improve respiratory function, which can benefit those who suffer from allergies. The lungs and respiratory system are closely connected to the spine and nervous system. When the spine is misaligned, it can interfere with the function of the respiratory system, making it more difficult to breathe. Chiropractic care can help to restore proper alignment to the spine, which can help to improve respiratory function(3) and alleviate allergy symptoms.
Add Dietary Supplements For Greater Relief.
While chiropractic care can help alleviate some of the symptoms associated with allergies, adding dietary supplements to your treatment plan can provide even greater relief. The best supplements to take to improve allergy symptoms in the spring may vary depending on individual needs, but here are some commonly recommended supplements:
- Quercetin: Quercetin is a plant flavonoid that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce inflammation and histamine release associated with allergy symptoms.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is important for immune function and may help reduce inflammation. Some studies suggest that vitamin D deficiency may be linked to an increased risk of allergies.
- Probiotics: As mentioned earlier, probiotics may help improve immune function and reduce inflammation, which may help reduce allergy symptoms.
- N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC): NAC is an antioxidant that has been shown to help reduce inflammation and mucus production in the respiratory tract. It may be particularly helpful for those with respiratory allergies.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and may help reduce inflammation associated with allergy symptoms.
To schedule an appointment to see how Life Source Chiropractic in Omaha Nebraska can help you get back to living your best life, click HERE!
- “Relationship Between Vertebral Deformities And Allergic Diseases” Y Takeda, S Arai “https://ispub.com/IJOS/2/1/8061“
- Teodorczyk-Injeyan, J. A., McGregor, M., Ruegg, R., & Injeyan, H. S. (2010). Interleukin 2-regulated in vitro antibody production following a single spinal manipulative treatment in normal subjects. Chiropractic & Osteopathy, 18(1), 26. doi: 10.1186/1746-1340-18-26 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4761829/).
- “The immediate effects of spinal thoracic manipulation on respiratory functions” (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4082894/)
- “Inflammatory response following a short-term course of chiropractic treatment in subjects with and without chronic low back pain” (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5623670/)
- “Danger of Allergy Medications For Your Heart.” https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/allergy-medicines-can-harmful-your-heart/